Thursday 26 December 2013

Excerpt 1 of ‘Vivek and I’

It  was  a  sunny  Saturday  so  I  thought  of  doing  some  shopping.  Having  finished  my  lunch,  I  left  for  the  vegetable  market.  It  was  a  small  market.  From  distance  it  looked  like  it  was  an  ocean  of  large  umbrellas  the  sellers  used  to  keep  their  stuff  from  rain.  While  shopping,  I  happened  to  bump  into  none-other-than  Vidya.  Both  of  us  were  surprised  to  see  each  other.
“You  do  this  kind  of  things  by  yourself?”  She  was  the  first  to  start  the  conversation.
“Anything  wrong  with  doing  this  kind  of  thing?”  I  asked.
“No,  but.  I  thought  it  was  your  maid  who  did…”
“Well,  I  was  free  so  I…”
“How  sweet!”  She  beamed.  “I  can’t  expect  something  like  this  from  my  father  or  brothers.”  She  then  looked  in  my  bag  to  see  what  I  had  purchased.  We  did  the  rest  of  the  shopping  together.
“You  do  your  shopping  from  here?”  I  asked  as  she  leaned  down  to  pick  carrots  from  the  basket.
“I  had  gone  to  Ms.  Bhoye’s  home,  had  my  lunch  there.”  She  continued  to  pick  carrots  while  talking.  “I  thought  of  buying  vegetables  since  my  bus  was  late.  What  about  these  cauliflowers?”  She  asked  as  the  vendor  put  the  carrot  in  her  plastic  bag.  The  vendor  said  the  price  and  she  tried  to  bargain  but  he  wouldn’t  agree  with  her.  She  wasn’t  interested  to  buy  it  on  his  price.
“What  about  the  vetch?”  She  haggled  for  it  and  the  vendor  agreed  this  time.  I  had  my  eyes  on  her  all  the  time.  When  she’s  buying  green  onions  from  elsewhere,  her  sari  slipped  from  her  shoulder  what  revealed  her  breast.  For  a  long  moment,  I  gaped  at  it  and  she  was  clever  enough  to  notice.  A  wily  chuckle  flashed  on  her  lips.  While  heading  out  of  the  market,  she  asked  the  same  vendor  if  he  was  ready  to  sell  the  cauliflower  on  the  price  she  had  said.  He  said  ‘no’  with  a  smile  and  she  walked  away  with  a  snort.  “How  mean!” 
I  had  a  cauliflower  in  my  bag.  For  a  second  I  thought  of  giving  it  to  her  but  with  a  fear  that  she’d  make  something  else  out  of  it,  I  changed  my  thought.
She  desired  to  eat  Panipuri  as  her  eyes  saw  a  handcart  by  the  road.
“Will  it  be  safe  to  eat  Panipuri  in  this  season?”  I  asked.  “I  mean  they  don’t  give  a  damn  to  something  called  hygiene.”
“Even  I  don’t  give  it  a  damn.”  She  gave  her  nose  a  playful  lift  and  hastened  towards  the  handcart.  I  had  to  follow  her.  She  told  the  vendor  to  serve  them  spicy  Panipuri  and  eagerly  waited  to  be  served.  I  watched  her  as  she  put  the  first  Panipuri  in  her  watered  mouth  and  savoured  it  slowly  with  her  eyes  closed.  I  just  watched  her.  She  was  a  different  person  today.  Like  a  child,  she  was  naughty  yet  charming.  She  was  not  what  she  was  like  while  flirting  with  me.
She  took  another  Panipuri  and  stretched  her  hand  towards  me.
“I  don’t…”  I  tried  to  protest.
“Have  it  or  I’ll  have  to  stuff  it  in  your  mouth  forcefully,”  she  said  obstinately  and  I  had  to  eat.
“How’s  that?”  She  asked.
“Too  spicy  for  me,”  I  said  hissing.
“Spicy  food  for  spicy  people.”  She  squinted  at  me  and  winked.
You  really  are  spicy,  I  talked  to  myself. 
She  didn’t  let  me  pay  and  we  almost  quarrelled  on  who  should  pay.  Finally,  I  had  to  surrender.  Girl  power.  “Nothing’s  like  a  woman’s  obstinacy.”  I  tried  to  vex  her.
She  looked  ebullient  instead.  “Very  true.”
“Your  Panipuri  might  make  my  stomach  sick,”  I  said  as  I  joined  her  to  see  her  off  at  the  bus-stop.
“Mine  is  not  that  weak.”  She  gave  her  brows  an  unusual  lift.  I  wondered  how  she  could  change  her  expressions  so  well  with  every  new  sentence.
“You’ll  have  to  take  me  to  the  doctor  if  I  do  get  sick.”  I  was  in  full  mood  to  tease  her.
“Anytime,”  she  laughed,  and  asked  a  bit  later.  “By  the  way,  have  you  heard  about  the  leopard  attack  last  night?”
“A  leopard?  Where?”  I  was  surprised  to  know.
“At  the  village  Kalamkhet,”  she  said  interestingly.  “A  couple  was  heading  to  their  village  from  the  ghat  (mountain  pass)  at  dusk  when  the  animal,  from  behind,  attacked  the  woman  who  was  sitting  on  the  carrier  of  the  bicycle  her  husband  was  driving.”  I  was  attentive  to  her.  “They  fell  on  the  road  and  the  death  was  close  but  fortunately  the  brave  man  had  a  strong  stick  with  what  he  attacked  back  on  the  leopard.  The  hungry  animal  wouldn’t  leave  though.  So  what  he  did  was  to  take  his  shirt  off  immediately  and  set  it  on  fire  with  the  matchbox  he  had.  That  made  the  devil  on  run.  Throughout  the  encounter  the  couple  kept  screaming  to  frighten  the  beast.”
“My  God!”  I  was  taken  aback.  “Brave  people,  indeed.”
“Oh,  yes.”  Vidya  was  happy  telling  me  about  the  incident.
“If  I’m  not  mistaken,  this  is  the  third  time  the  leopard  has  attacked  this  season.  What’s  the  forest  department  doing?”
“They  have  set  cages  around  the  jungle  but  the  animals  are  not  dumb  unless  they’re  damn  too  hungry  to  eat  the  goat  placed  inside  the  cage  as  decoy.”
“There  must  be  more  than  one,  don’t  you  think  so?”  I  asked.
“They  say  there  are  four.  And  the  one  that  was  seen  last  night  is  the  most  fearless  of  them.  She  must  have  cubs.  May  be  that’s  why…”
“I  don’t  think  so.  If  it  was  her  and  not  him,  she  must  have  attacked  the  man!”  I  said  with  a  cunning  smile.

Vidya  was  smart  enough  to  understand  my  wit.  She  laughed  aloud.  And  it  started  to  rain  as  if  even  the  rain  liked  to  be  our  company  in  that  joyous  time.  There  was  no  place  around  where  we  could  take  shelter   so  we  had  to  run  not  to  get  wet.  It  was  the  tree  of  Pipal  that  became  our  shelter,  but  not  for  long.  It  drizzled  through  the  sparse  grove  of  the  tree  what  left  us  soaked.  We  stood  there  talking.  I  watched  her  as  she  enjoyed  rain.  And  all  of  a  sudden  I  was  aware  that  Vidya  never  looked  so  beautiful.  Water  was  streaming  down  her  wet  locks  that  were  spread  across  her  face.  The  silk,  sky-blue  coloured,  plain  sari  clung  to  her  fair  body  what  made  the  slick  curves  of  her  tender  limbs  partly  visible.  A  question  sprang  in  my  mind:  How  the  hell  I  didn’t  notice  the  delicacies  of  her  body  so  far?  She  was  aware  with  the  fact  that  my  eyes  were  getting  glued  to  certain  parts  of  her  body  again and again.  And  most  likely  she  also  wanted  so  to  be.  I  was  not  sure  if  the  smile  I  had  seen  at  the  end  of  her  lips  was  of  a  triumphant  sort.  It  had  started  to  blow  and  she  was  shivering  of  cold.  Everything  was  cold:  rain,  wind,  her  body  and  me.  For  the  first  time  in  years,  I  longed  for  a  female  body.  She  was  right  in  front  of  me.  Sultry.  Sensual.  Sexy.  But  I  couldn’t  get  excited.  Had  I  been  a  man,  a  real  man,  I  would  have  done  something  mischievous.  Had  I  been  a  man…

Links for the Availability of the Book...
http://www.flipkart.com/vivek-and-i/p/itmczyrpgbb7p2bk?pid=9780143067924&ref=8b0992a9-c821-4cd8-97f2-8a28b2585c28&affid=indiabookstore

http://www.amazon.in/Vivek-I-Mayur-Patel/dp/0143067923/ref=sr_1_1/279-3954560-9107854?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1388123913&sr=1-1&keywords=vivek%2Band%2BI&tag=indi08-21

http://www.snapdeal.com/product/vivek-and-i/115367?utm_source=omegatxn&utm_campaign=afts

No comments:

Post a Comment